Barnet Council appointed Groundwork to develop a Master Plan for Victoria Park. In March 2018, Groundwork ran consultations with the local community to come up with the Master Plan with design options.
Groundworks completed their survey and the overall scheme was presented at an Environment Meeting at Barnet Council on 28 Nov 2018. The unanimous support for the scheme and the work was delegated to the Manager Open Spaces who was to report back after the initial design stages.
Draft Master Plan + design options
Consultation on the draft Master Plan closed on 13 August 2018.
- that a master plan be developed for Victoria Park
- to request the release of the ring fenced funding to support the development and improvement of Victoria Park in line with the agreed Greenspaces Capital Investment Programme.
and delegates authority to the Strategic Director: Environment to procure
appropriately qualified external support to develop the master plan for the site in accordance with the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules.
The council sold The Lodge in Victoria Park in 2015 and it is a requirement that any funds raised from the sale will only be spent on Victoria Park.
Our wish list to Groundwork
Friends generated a ‘wish list’ to develop our Park for current and future generations. This went to Groundwork for consideration during the consultation phase in March 2018.
- Expand current infants playground to accommodate 6 -11 year olds
- Refurbish infants playground
- Create a multi-game space with goals/skateboard facility to replace current teenage play area
- Develop the café facility by re-building on same site in a “green and sustainable manner” to provide indoor and outdoor seating
- Review all toilet provision in the park and should include toilets near the playgrounds/café
- Develop the Depot by the front gate for re-use for the community, maybe as a local craft/exhibition space
- Review park “furniture” including provision of park benches and seating areas
- Refurbish 4 tennis courts (two have recently been done) and introduce a system for managing bookings
- Install CCTV cameras in strategic areas
- Improve signage, update notice boards at gates and add hoardings by the Bowling Club.
- Outdoor gym for older people and/or jogging track round the park
- Install new doorway from bowling club to face the café and integrate better with the park.
- Improve recycling facility – need new recycle bins with easier access
- Tree survey and new tree planting including another magic climbing tree -Wisteria/Fir planted in tandem
- Pay-as-you-go dog wash
- Wildlife/nature walk opposite tennis courts
- Reinstatement of a putting green
- Develop the sensory area
- Replace current litter bins with larger improved design for easier access